BIP 43: Purchasing Badger.com

If you are going to give feedback make it constructive or don’t give feedback at all.

1 Like

The money isnt spent. That’s what this vote is for.

As I outlined I think there are numerous benefits to Badger.com as the landing spot for the DAO. Its not about increasing traffic. Its about brand reputation and trust. Regardless having Badger.com owned by the DAO dramatically increases it’s resale value immediately.

7 Likes

THIS IS HUGE!
LET’S GET THIS DOMAIN !

This makes onboarding even easier and massively builds our brand awareness!!

LFG

I’ve verified the purchase price Arben paid and if the community wants to see it we can organize. That’s neither here nor there but if necessary I’ll coordinate

3 Likes

I got quotes for $500k

3 Likes

That would be appreciated. Thank you

I have no idea if this could be a thing, but could the verification docs maybe be some sort of web 3 app that would require ownership of Badgers to view?

The price that was paid for the domain doesn’t matter (except to you and other noisemakers here, who aren’t even saying ‘why’ it matters… just that it does.)

In my eyes, ALL that matters right now is the cost that this project would pay for it, which is what this BIP is for. Why? Because that is all we have to go on at this point. If someone else makes a profit on the domain, that isn’t really our concern, is it? Community member or not. They did a service. They got the domain for less than other offers. Goal achieved. End of story.

Waste of development resources

1 Like

Fair enough. Just thinking out loud. I appreciate the communication

From this Cointelegraph article about Badger.com.

3 Likes

This is cheaper than most companies pay for one word generic domain names. This is a HUGE WIN and a drop in the bucket cost wise for the potential PR, exposure, and returns.

If we were not to use it, I surely know others that would want to purchase at that price (myself included).

1 Like

This will do lots for trust and legitimizes us. Not in the defi world but in the greater world. I am for this as I can see it helping to bring institutional holders of BTC to our corner of the ether.

This is great long-term. And 300k is cheap for a primo URL.

1 Like

Please don’t be like that. As vested stakeholders, we have rights to ask questions about these things. You may think it’s noise, but don’t denigrate. To different people, due diligence means different things. To me, that includes verifying claims, even if it doesn’t matter to the bottom line of the transaction.

1 Like

Absolutely question the things that matter. For example, your first couple of comments were totally valid and sane, but then after that, it kind of went downhill pretty quickly, imho.

Good to see this discussion. Even when the BIP has a lot of “woulds” = assumptions and even when I don’t really like it overall, it is clear that domain names are assets and its value is tied to the brand. So yes, Badger owning the domain ramps up the value.

However, I don’t like that the brand we are seeking is Badger instead of BadgerDAO.

Still, after giving a lot of thought I am supporting this BIP just because I think owning the domain, as an asset, is good for the treasury and for the DAO - especially if we have “appraised” the domain name and we have got quotes above $ 500k.

5 Likes

lol the domain is good but i dont think we need it i would prefer badger.io or even badger.finance or badger.crypto lol the .com is not really needed lol and waste of money for treasury hahaha but whatever plus i also think that the strategic advisor should have donated the domain name if he cared enough but no lol

I’m neutral towards this, but since it’s a 1word domain, it’s on the cheap side all things considered;

@Spadaboom the only thing I would suggest is this:
Instead of redirecting badger.finance to badger.com, do the opposite, redirect badger.com to badger.finance

A couple thoughts:

1. .com TLD is the oldest and most used, the .com is how we get on the front page of search so that when people hear their friends talking about “some thing called Badger” they can find us

2. We have no physical headquarters, badger.com is like primo real estate, and we’d be buying not renting so we’d acquire the asset. I’ve worked with businesses who’s monthly rent was more than $300K that don’t generate nearly as much cashflow

Although I don’t believe the price paid is relevant I’m supportive of getting documentation out for community transparency

8 Likes

I am for this proposal and agree with the sentiment that this domain will be an asset to the DAO, which has already bee appraised at a higher value than cost!

I think it is an excellent way to bring in more non DeFi native users

1 Like