BIP 43: Purchasing Badger.com

After reading that… I decided to sell all my badges. This going to be the worst investment - 300k for domain lol
Gl guys.

what do you mean? what he paid is irrelevant. the DAO decision is: Do we want to buy badger.com for $300,000?

1 Like

I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t get around to reading all of the plans and announcements. Does anyone know if the idea of buying badger.com had previously been brought up before? I hadn’t heard anything about this before today, but again, I don’t read all of the announcements

This is lol… Sushi domain, a cuisine people freak out over worldwide = badger … wow, the monumental miscalculation on this one.

That’s not the comparison at all.

Irrelevant? We are buying it from a Team member.

What if the Team bought the domain for 10k? How do we verify this? We cant.

sushi.com domain was listed for $1.9m

it’s not clear what the final sale price was, but even if you assume $1.8m, that’s 6x badger.com

who cares who we are buying it from.

SHOULD THE DAO BUY BADGER.COM FOR $300,000

That’s the only question you need to answer. Everything else is just noise.

If you think 300k is too much, vote no.
If you think it’s a fair price, vote yes.

1 Like

For those of you who don’t understand the logic:

• A domain name has a huge amount of SEO value.
  • The value of the domain is 300k. It really doesn’t matter what was paid for it, but if you can’t trust Spada over something this simple, then what are you doing here?
  • 300k sounds like a large amount of money (to you), but given that this project is generating millions in revenue per month, it isn’t that big in the long-term picture of things.
  • It brings a huge amount of legitimacy to this project to have a solid TLD.
  • I’ve worked for companies that have purchased expensive TLD’s and I can confirm that it always paid off over the long term.
  • What if every holder got something cool, like a badger.com email address?
9 Likes

Yes, it does look like an expensive affair and a wastage of money but in the long run I think it will be worthwhile. We will be expanding rapidly and some money should be spent to shape us up. The domain looks professional and will help with SEO and perspective of new Badgers.

2 Likes

I would agree that that’s the primary question to answer, yes. But I would argue that there are secondary questions at play here, too. Some of the questions are as follows:

• is this going to set a precedent?

• if so, will this be a bad precedent?

• how much do we trust the development team that they’re not using the treasury as a slush fund for their cronies?

• what are the opportunity costs for that $300K?

• assuming everything is kosher, are there other payment structures or plans that would be acceptable to all parties?

Etc

2 Likes

Wrong. It is relevant up to the point Spada says “He has shared all documentation with the team proving his ownership and purchase price.”

The issue is: If Badger is a DAO that verifies the treasury spending? Or a project that simply trusts the team spending the treasury without sharing the details?

Kane could have bought the domain for 1k. Which I dont think is the case. But this is because I trust Spada, not because I cant verify for myself wich is the PURPOSE OF A DAO

1 Like

I’m not saying that I don’t trust Spada, but part of the entire ethos out of which the crypto scene was borne is that we shouldn’t trust people too much, and now,there are tools for verifying truths without risking too much trust

DO YOU THINK THE TREASURY SHOULD SPEND $300,000 FOR BADGER.COM

YES or NO?

That’s all that matters. The rest is noise.

No. Reasons?

-I cant verify the team has bought the domain for less.

But this is noise for you. Good luck.

1 Like

Yesssss! Glad you guys got it. This is great for marketing and definitely will push us forward!!!

4 Likes

great. thank you for your vote.

i bought google.com for $10

i’m happy to sell it BadgerDAO for $300,000 but I guess you’d vote No because you know that I bought it for $10

I think it would in fact be a violation of trust if a member of the team sought to profit off the DAO. If it is an insider doing this, and they found the opportunity to buy Badger.com for $10 and sell it to the DAO for 300K, instead of allowing the DAO to buy it for $10, you wouldn’t have a problem with this or consider it an abuse of trust? I’m playing devil’s advocate, but you’re simplifying the matter a little bit too much. Don’t trust, verify.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be surprised if he could sell this for more than 300k through a broker.