BIP 49: Opolis: Strategic Investment & Integration

The team wont be receiving the work tokens that are part of this deal but we are eligible for the same benefits as anyone else that signs up.

Once the WORK tokens are in the treasury they will be under the control of badger governance just like all other assets and token holders can choose to distribute them however we would like. If there is strong support for a distribution this is something that could be worked on. We have a rough model in the works for “stakedrops” of annexe project tokens. Given this is a little different structure it may not fit exactly but its something we could look into building out.

I think of it more as leveraging the community to hopefully help them be successful and drive value to an asset in the treasury. The asset will need to be managed just like all other assets in the treasury so if there are certain targets at which we use it to rebuy badger we can set those goals and work towards it.

1 Like

John (bufficorn) from opolis still building cred on the forum so is locked out right now but will pass along his answer:

Yes. Absolutely. The complexity comes that with every country/territory we have to set up new legal compliance mechanisms. We will begin with Canada and then move to Europe. From there, demand based. All of this hinges on a quality execution of scaling our initial Members to ~1000. The entire point of the tokenomics is to create long/short term incentives for communities to join in and help.

@bufficornsoldier adjusted your cred - should be able to post more freely now.

1 Like

I don’t understand why some “stategic investments” require a BIP and governance and why other “strategic investments” as per BIP-37 are just decided by the team.

I don’t see consistency. Either all need to go through governance, or none.

1 Like

lol the illusion of governance lol hahahaha yes BIP 37 means the team to do pretty much whatever they want and people just voted yes so they can decide without community :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: so just for fun i vote against hahahahaha lol

lol BIP 37 made pretty clear that the core team can just decide whatever they want regarding use of treasury effectively making governance useless but people voted for that anyway: “Upon passing snapshot Core may begin diversification with interested parties” “As allocations are agreed upon and undertaken they will be shared on Badger channels” this last sentence means no governance required to decide those investments only team decide and then share lol so what is the point of discussing if they can do whatever they want lol and people approved that lol

I’m against this proposal.
When did BADGER turn into an angel investment fund?

The project seems useful in principle, but is narrow in scope and extremely high risk. There doesn’t seem to be a clear roadmap and international outreach is illusory due to local regulations/laws.

I’d advice we start concentrating on our core mission again, instead of spreading funds everywhere.

5 Likes

Adding further to this:

• Self-funded retirement plans are a unique US necessity. Most of the rest of the world has government backed retirement provisions which ‘can’ (at most) be upped by private plans. This part of the product will simply not apply to Europe, for example.

• Posting TAM (total addressable market) graphs is a big no no these days, especially for niche markets. In fact, I’m involved in private equity and every applicant showing those unicorn graphs to us will be shown the door instantly.

2 Likes

With respect, where did anyone make a ridiculous TAM claim? Unicorn graphs? The trend graph is only to show that the tides are in our favor. We certainly don’t need 90M US workers to adopt Opolis to make it successful.

The future of DeFi depends on mass adoption, not staying a niche market. And giving independent workers native access to DeFi and BTC (along with other Badger assets) via paychecks is a big win for everyone working toward a more user centered internet and social framework.

With respect to Europe and the rest of the world, we very well understand that compliance and regs vary from country to country. It will take time, but it isn’t illusory as you suggest. Each jurisdiction will take time, but will be worth the effort when we knit together an international utility for self-sovereign employment.

while I dont think anyone is saying this should become our main focus, using our community, team, and resources to further bitcoin and DeFi adoption seems aligned imo.

its also an extension of our close work with gitcoin. Many other projects in the space help bootstrap future integrators and partners. I agree this one is a bit out of the box for the first one but it was honestly just unique timing.

Thanks for the response, this makes me feel better about this. I can see how this can align with our community building goals such as our donations to gitcoin grants. This project could really help the ability of doa’s to attract and maintain the best talent. One thing I am curious of is what do our other strategic partners think? Are they participating in governance?

They have no idea how this thing will work.

From the whitepaper:

In the near term, DEO members will have the option to select which currency, or currencies, they’d like to receive. They’ll be able to select a number of fiat currencies as well as have the option to receive up to their entire paycheck in cryptocurrencies (DAI, BTC , ETH , etc.).

Do you guys have an MVP? What are your developer credentials?

All I can see after studying your whitepaper is a collection of buzzwords and assumptions. You don’t seem to have a clear picture how to build those concepts and and insecure about the technologies needed.

The Opolis Trustee will initially utilize a combination of Web2 and Web3 technologies for its native technology. Over time Opolis will replace as much Web2 technology as possible with Web3 solutions.

The Trustee will ultimately be a tapestry of technology and services.

How will decentralization work with a mix of on-/off-chain, self-sovereign and centralized custody?

In the Employment Commons, sensitive employee information will not be stored on-chain but should also remain sovereign to the member. This will occur with the assistance of the Opolis Trustee acting as a custodian of member data

These pieces of employment metadata will be verified by independent oracle platforms (Web2 and Web3) while allowing members to maintain attestations and decide how/when they want to share sovereign data. It’s important to note that whether Opolis develops native oracle services or utilizes other solutions through vertical integration (Streamr, Rhombus, The Graph), oracles used will need to remain as either the source of truth or decentralized data providers in order to prevent attestation corruption or verification of false information.

1 Like

Please mor of this.

As a Badger stakeholder, I approve of this type of initiative and consider that the addition of such synergies will mark the ultimate and long-term success of Badger as a flagship crypto project.

Thanks to the board for bringing this to vote.

Regards,

Conserbadger

2 Likes

I implore everyone to actually READ the proposed whitepaper before voting!

I’m getting heavy flashbacks to 2017 on this one…
Why is this even in there?

1 Like

We’re already doing this and it is available right now to our Members.

You’re entitled to your opinion on our project but to insinuate that we are 2017 scammers is off track to anyone who knows me or has followed the project since we began almost 2 years of planning and research in August of 2017. Mind you this is after declining several opportunities to launch a shitcoin from actual scammers. We preferred to do things the right way.

Obviously, we haven’t crossed paths before. If we had, you’d be familiar with my background. My credentials are 20 years in HR, Employment and HR Technology. I come from the product side of the house, but am well versed in Web3 technology with deep connections to the space after having founded and executed ETHDenver for four installations. All while raising $3M in sponsorships and hosting almost 40k people…for free… while not taking a single dollar for myself.

We currently have a competent, yet small development staff at Opolis with Stewardship and development support from collaborators at Raid Guild, Gnosis, MetaCartel, SuperFluid, Merkle Mountain to name a few. Our lead developer is also an long-time and ongoing contributor to the Python library for Ethereum. A good portion of this investment is to augment the team and reinforce with full-time as well as community based resources.

I’d be happy to meet with you personally if you feel this strongly about your viewpoint that we’re attempting to scam BadgerDAO. I can assure you that we are a legit project who has demonstrated long-term commitment and worldwide contribution the space.

2 Likes

If “self-sovereign employment” doesn’t seismically shift the social dynamic of “work” I’m not sure what would. For me, the thought of “freeing” people from a corporate “wage slavery” and enabling unabated access to DeFi, Cyrpto and Web3 sounds like pretty worthwhile Social Implications. With all due respect, this is hardly 2017 “Buck Rogers” pipedreaming. But you’re still welcome to believe what you’d like.

1 Like

honestly havent checked in with them on it and no, i dont think they are using their allocations for voting (but i dont know for sure). We are looking to include them (or maybe a rep or two) going forward when evaluating deals since they have experience in this arena and can probably help us present things in a clearer way.

I’m all for this. Sounds like a great partnership and I like the intro of defi to newcomers through payroll. That brings in real world value for Badger.

However, I am against anything that will further add selling pressure such as paying any associated parties with badger tokens.
Actually, if anything I think moving forward people should get paid in stables, and then they have the option to buy Badger - therefore increasing buying pressure.

I think we should reserve Badger tokens when working with Opolis as a sort of retirement fund. Opolis should definitely highlight the option for people to stake their Badger payments and other products in the vaults for daily auto compounding yield.

I also agree that we need more information before spending more money on projects from our treasury. Hence the video call tomorrow. I hope you all attend. We need to be careful of where we put our treasury funds in. If we become too scattered as a DAO, we will have no progress. We need to stay focused. However, I see this project as having great potential for us having a mutually beneficial relationship.